Tuesday 28 April 2009

Diving Around the Isle of Mull, and Scapt Flow, Scotland, by Roy Tomkinson

Hi Everyone,
I'm New, first blog: Roy from Wales, I live In Pontypridd and like to tell you a little about scuba diving in Scotland, especially on the Island of Mull.
I have dived Scapa Flow twice, and Mull once, I think it was in 1992, wasn’t that impressed with Scapa, perhaps it was because it was snowing slightly, and it was cold, but would definitely go back there.
Now Mull, that is altogether another story, we took two dinghies with us (Was a member of Llantrisant Diving Club at the time.) and went across on the ferry, and stayed in Tobermory in two chalets just on the top.
I can’t remember what the site was called, but we used to walk down the steps to the front and go into the pub just over looking the harbour, Mishnish, that's the place, made a lasting impression on me.
We hardly cooked at all, ate nearly every meal in the pub, typical divers. But there you go, we dived two, sometime three dives a day, dry suits mind you, I’m not that brave. I will definitely go back there this year and look over the Island again, and of course, do a few dives and test the beer in the Mishnish.
Anyway, as I was saying, I dived Tobermory a good few years ago, and it had a lasting impression on me. I spent some weeks researching the history of the Island, and it stayed with me for many years before I eventually wrote a story about a diving trip from Wales to Mull, and Duart Castle.
Oh yes, I also mention in the novel the Mishnish, I couldn’t leave that place out of the story. The Mac’ Dougalls and the McLean Clans are also there, as well as some of the humour us divers sometimes displays (sic).
The whole action happens on Mull, and would you believe, I couldn’t find a good publisher in UK, most are in London, (Sic) said Mull is too small. “A novel on diving! Diving! The interest is too small, and the history of Mull, not a lot will want to read that.”I told them to p... off.I appointed an agent, and would you believe, in America, they jumped at the story, Americans love Scotland. A diving – time travel story, of a diving club going to Mull from Wales on holiday to dive, and they find a Galleon, and... and... and... I enjoyed writing in anyway. Take a peek:
and check it out, and let me know what you think! You’ll be able to get if from the Library within a few weeks, or of course, should I venture the words, buy it, and let me know what you think of the way I’ve described the diving, and the action.
It’s a story mind you, and not a treatise of diving. Anyway, thanks for listening, and will value your comments. I've also written a few other novels, but they're about Wales, and that is altogether another story.my email is :


no laughing please, I've had this email years. Yes before I dived in Mull.
Thanks again,
Roy.

2 comments:

  1. Dive Mull myself, darn good it was too, plenty or wrecks around the coast, currents are strong though, but same in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not been to Scapa, will get there one day, into warm water diving now, no dry suit, been to Egypt a few times going there later this year, that's the plan.

    ReplyDelete