Tuesday 28 April 2009

Roy Tomkinson, Anger Child

Hi everyone,

Six month ago I published a novel called "Anger Child," and a number of people have contacted me to ask if it's about myself. My first book, "Of Boys, Men and Mountains" was partly about myself. My upbringing, my family and friends: the values they held and how they saw life.
The second book is about an angry child, a lot darker than the light hearted first book, and I suppose some of the feelings portrayed in the book must have some relevance, but mostly, it is a story about anger, and how he (Colin) learned, that what he had, and lost, was far better than anything he had ever hoped to gain.
Anger is an emotion I have felt myself, everyone feels it at some time in their life. It's not the anger that is important: it can be a good thing, but... but... how we handle our anger. And, this is what the main character needed to understand.
The saying, we learn from our mistakes, grow from them, is a truism; often something profound needs to happens, and it changes us forever.
What makes an angry person kill, rape - do anything? In my books, I try to take the reader on this journey and into the mind of this young lad.
I take a tin opener, so to speak, and open up the inside, to show the inside, and how one little wrong leads to another, and another and another, until the only thing in life is darkness.
In my first book - that is about the opposite to anger - acceptance and love, but in my other two novels, I show up what jealousy and anger can do. Kill, destroy and all the other negatives we hear about in the press. Look up some of the reviews on the gwales site, what is said about the novel and about anger: http://www.gwales.com/rating/?isbn=9780955973604&tsid=3
What makes the mind set of killer? It is almost certainly more than just anger. Or it it?
In my third novel "The Tour," I try to take anger and hatred a stage further and show what a warped personality is capable of doing. How they always blame others, never themselves, and how certain people congregate towards that type of person.
It is more than a story of murder?
Yes, a lot more, but the recurring theme is of good verus evil and the way certain people look at and understand life.
Check it out: "The Tour:"
Played out in Scotland on the Island of Mull.
www.strategicbookpublishing.com/TheTour.html
Regards,
Roy.

No comments:

Post a Comment