Monday 4 May 2009

A little bit of Whisky by Roy Tomkinson

A LITTLE BIT OF WHISKY GOES A LONG WAY.

The most northern whisky distillery in the British Isles is in Orkney. Before the whiskey, I must tell you something about the place. First the pictures, the link:
http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/orkney/slideShow.asp?g=l
Well, what did I tell you?
Stunning! (The cottages from the above photos: WESTRAY RUIN and RACKWICK BOTHY, are how I envisaged it would look, when my four intrepid time travellers go back to 1526 in my novel “The Tour,” check it out, the link:
http://strategicbookpublishing.com/TheTour.html
There is a raw wildness about Orkney, which no man can tame, indeed, and who would want to tame such wild beauty. The island is abundantly rich in heritage. The Islands have been inhabited for over 5,500 years, the exact date of occupation has long been lost into the annals of history, and each and every successive culture has added to the legacy we know today as Orkney.
This legacy takes in remarkable Neolithic sites, unforgettable ancient remains, many listed buildings. And in addition to this: the Islands offers an unspoilt environment of breathtaking beauty, which makes you cry out with delight.
The Orcadians, and rightly so, are justifiably proud of their history, dialect and traditions. The place boasts some remarkable Neolithic treasures, and includes the oldest stone house still standing in northern Europe: (the Knap at Howar, which was occupied from 3,500 BC. to 3,100 BC).
There is a village dating from around 3,000 BC, remarkably preserved at Skara Brae, and the Ring of Brodgar, which has for many years been a feature on the label of Highland Park 18 year old whisky, (my lips are clapping just thinking about the smell and taste).
Little wonder then, that Orkney was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. But what really sets Orkney apart is the Viking influence, which became one of their important trading routes, and set up camp there, without which, they could not have had, and sustained a permanent foothold on mainland Britain.
Barbarians! Not at all: the Vikings were a people of their time, in their time, for their time, and eventually, they settled and form a part of our heritage to this very day. Norsemen began to colonise Orkney in the eighth century, and soon the island became a vital link for these great opportunists, allowing them to stop off on their pillaging expeditions into the western sea-routes. By the end of the following century, a Norwegian settlement was firmly established on the island, and the way of life on Orkney was exactly that of a Norse earldom. The islands remained under the rule of Norwegian earls until 1231, when the line of the Jarls became extinct.
Since 1798 Highland Park Whiskey has formed a part of the heritage of the Orkneys; the Orcadians are as proud of their whisky as they are of their history. Believe me when I tell you, I’m also glad I found it, I admit by accident, but since that time, it has been by far my favourite whisky.
I was on a diving trip to Orkney, on the ferry, and as you do, seated near the bar and noticed an advertisement. Well, what could I do: going to Orkney, they had a distillery there, so I order a measure. The first sip brought a smile to my face. I was delighted. The second sip I was ecstatic, by the third sip I was hooked, and the glass was empty, so I ordered another.
Thank goodness I wasn’t driving or diving that day. Don’t get me wrong, I would never drive or dive after alcohol, only a fool would do that, a stupid silly fool, and I’m no fool. When there, I even took a day out from diving in Scapa Flow to go and visit the distillery, and what a place. And of course, I came away with a few bottles of their famous whiskey.
Hooray!
The distillery is near Kirkwall, the capital of the Orkneys, Highland Park is the northernmost of the Scottish distilleries and founded around 1790. It has its own floor maltings, and uses peat which is sourced and dug locally from shallow beds, which retains a “young” rooty, heathery character.
Right, right, enough of history: you must be thinking taste, the taste, get to the taste. What’s it like?
Well, I prefer the 12 year malt, for me that is the best, but of course that is my preference, you may prefer an older malt, or perhaps a younger one. But the character of the whiskey stays somewhat consistent, very much so, irrespective of age. But I say again, for me the twelve years malt is the best, of the best, of the best.

Here goes: HIGHLAND PARK 12 YEARS OLD WHISKY
Colour: Amber
Nose: smoky, “garden bonfire” sweetness, heathery, malty, with just the hint of sherry.
Body: Medium, but exceptionally smooth, very much so.
Palate: Succulent, with a smoky dryness, heather-honey sweetness, and maltiness, I can’t leave that out.
Finish: Teasing, heathery, delicious.
Over Taste: Peat, a strong earthy taste fragrance of fresh peat.
Wow!

What more can I say, try it, you must try it to believe in it, this for me is the best whiskey in the world, from a country which produces the best whiskies in the world, and Highland Park 12 Malt, is the best of the best.
Let me have your comment. But be warned, don’t get too drunk. A glass or two, perhaps 3 is about the maximum.
Enjoy. I do.
Regards,
Roy.

3 comments:

  1. Give it a try, I did, and what is said above is right, the smell is distinct, the colour is rich, and the taste, peaty.
    Would love to go to Scotland, will one day, and when I do, Orkney will be on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's all this about a Tour? I've looked at the pictures, they are black and white, really good, the houses look really old and weathered.
    I scuba dive, but only in warm water. Fancy seeming Scotland and the islands, but diving, that is far too cold for me.
    Will try the whisky, Hignland Park, never heard of it before, come to that, never seen it advertised either, I'll try it and let you all know what I think of it, Tomkinson likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried the whisky, I have a glass in my hand now, by the side of the computer, wait, I now taking a drink.
    It's brill, glad I found this site, and a tost to you R Tomkinson, the whisky is all what you say it is, and more, now it my favourite whiskly as well. Good on you Highland Park.

    ReplyDelete