Wednesday 6 May 2009

ROY TOMKINSON: RHONDDA'S REFLECTION ON THE WEB

REFLECTIONS OF RHONDDA
THE PAGE TITLE FROM THE WEB IS:
RHONDDA’S REFLECTIONS – WANDERING AROUND THE WEB

I just wish to share with you a web site I found, and what I wrote there regarding the Rhondda, the place where I was born. It's quite short, but if you have time please check out the link.
The link is:

http://rhondda.wordpress.com/literature-and-reading/

Please take a look, the Rhondda Valley is truly known throughout the world, my comments are short, the link you need to see.

Hi there,
From a Valley’s Boy,
Rhondda, a place where I was born and raised, what a place, at one time, space for space, it was one the most heavily populated places in Europe. Collieries were everywhere you cared to look, a hive of activity in every corner, black faces, smiling coming home from work.
Not today, the collieries are long gone, but the people, well the children and grandchildren of miners, still have their traditional warmth and kindness, and long may it last.

I have written a book about the people of Rhondda, as they were in the 50 and 1960s, I know many people have read the book, continually, I get comments. It’s about how it really was, about real people who worked, lived and died in my Rhondda.

So yes, you could say it’s about Reflections of the Rhondda, please, get hold of a copy and read it. The story really shows how it was, and how the people handled the hardship. Rhondda’s resilience was legionary, and what is more, that tenacity is still there to this day. Please, if you haven’t already read this book, you must, really must got hold of a copy and read it.

The book is: “Of Boys, Men and Mountains”
PUBLISHED BY YLOLFA/ ISBN: 0862438683
Regards,
Roy.
RHONDDA’S REFLECTIONS – WANDERING AROUND THE WEB

3 comments:

  1. A truly great story, it shows what the Rhondda was really like when the pits were at full pelt before the miners strike.
    The story is sad and funny, but the are alive, these characters will live forever and it would not suprise me if a film were to be made. This book is equally as good as "How green is my Valley" if not better. Well done to the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anonymous, it was my first novel, and the people in the story were, are, some are still alive, quite a few really, and all, every one are Rhondda characters, my family included, from tip to toe and proud I am of them.
    I get comments daily on that book, and thank you Anonymous for reading it and for passing the message on to me. "Of Boys, Men and Mountains" a story very close to me heart, it shows the strength in Rhondda, and in its people, and believe me, that is still there today. My people, my valley, and it will always remain so. There is a saying: You can take the man out of the Rhondda, but you will never, never, take the Rhondda out of the man.
    Regards,
    Roy.

    ReplyDelete