Sunday 7 June 2009

A Welsh Countryside

A Welsh Countryside

WALES
Land of my Father

I look around at my surroundings:
Green hills, trees, mountains.
Old castle walls crumble.
In the darkness people fumble.
But oh the beauty of this country
Cannot be described with words.

The country holds on by a thread
The mines - most valley towns now dead.
More dole, more job losses, more dread
More people without a bed.
But oh the caress of a Welsh breeze
Create such memories.

Merry childhood days, in long grass,
Collecting worms in jars
Making rope swings on the trees
Going down the river Taff on dinghies.
These are the times which make us.
They are the memories which save us

I’ll always love this country I know,
But one day I will leave, to grow,
To spread my wings to take direction.
I need new life, not perfection.
Not droll day in and day out.
I want a job I can shout about

So Wales, please, dry your eyes.
You’re still beautiful to me, in my mind.
I'll hold you dear to my heart.
Until my death bed and life departs,
I will never forget the happiness
Of running in long grass.

By my daughter, Danielle Louise Tomkinson
A little treasure to me she is, and has cost me a treasure as well, but she's worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment