Friday 15 January 2010

Log Fourteen From New Zealand, the 6th to the 9th of Janurary.

(Wednesday 6th January 2010)

Up at 7.20 am and straight up the gym, now the holidays are effectively over, it is back to normal. The gym opens from 6am onward, over the holiday it was 9pm. Home at 9.30, breakfast, a little read: Shakespeare’s “The Tragedy of Julius Caesar.”
I started reading it in bed last night. Later, out into town and a walk around the harbour. I called into the library on the way back, a little shopping, and then home, and read for a while. I’m having chilli and potato wedges later for dinner.
I’m reading a novel by Elizabeth Chadwick, “Shadows and Stongholds.” A medieval novel based in the period, 1148 AD, the main character is called Brunin, the first novel I have read by this author. I borrowed it from the library earlier today, and even thought I’m early into the reading of the story, the writing, plot and characterization, I like, and the story is not that heavy on the mind.
Watching the news, I see that the UK is having a BAD TIME with the weather, the worse in 30 years apparently, snow, snow, and more snow; glad I’m out here in the warmth using factor 30-sun cream. I’m getting ready to travel around the rest of the island over the next week or so and looking to where I intend to go, the Coremandel is high on my list, so I Gisborne and Napier. From the weather news it looks as if it’ll rain tomorrow, but the temperature will be 23 Deg, still warm, but cloudy, but the forecast often turns out to be wrong, well, I'll have to see, off to bed 11pm.
(7th January, Thursday)
I didn’t wake until 9am this morning, I had intended to go down the gym but read instead, the Chadwick novel I’d mentioned earlier, it makes very good reading. The weather is cloudy today, but there are no rain showers as forecasted last night, which is a good thing but it’s not looking that promising for the afternoon, not matter the weather is a darn site better than in the UK with all the snow and cold weather.
Despite what I said earlier today, I didn’t go over the door all day, and was late getting to bed 2am in the morning. I read all day, finished the Chadwick novel before I went to bed, I read the whole novel in one day.
(Friday 8th January)

Woke at 9am, late for me, but I was late in bed last night – I do sleep well out here. I went straight to the gym and had a good, I mean good, work out, one and a half hours, weights and cardiac, and then I went down the library to take a few books back, where I borrowed another novel my Elizabeth Chadwick, “Running Vixen.” It’s on the same vein as her last novel based around the period 1126: perhaps it’s just what I feel, but I find women writers have more ideas about romance writing than men writers. There is more empathy in the writing and a greater understanding about love and relationships, and Chadwick has this ability to bring out emotion in her characters, which I find rather refreshing.
(1.30pm) Listen now to an opera (the full works) by Richard Strauss, “The Egyptian Helen 1928 version,” quite highbrow, “The women is Helen of Troy and the man her husband who is trying to kill her, but I must admit, I’m rather enjoying it; the singers are Deborah Voigt, and Leon Botstein. The first I’ve heard of them, both have strong voices – I’m quite surprised about myself liking them.
The weather was cloudy this morning, and it rained when I was in the gym, but later it because really close, and now, this afternoon, the sun is out and it's exceptionally warm, the weather mood can change on a penny. I need to do some shopping later, I could have done some earlier today, but frankly, I just wasn't in the mood. I may go out later, but I'm not that keen.
(3.25pm) Listening to Ave Maria – Auld Lang Syne - Greensleeves – The Last Rose of Summer, and many more, played by Andre Rieu. The CD is in two disks and entitled, “The 100 most Beautiful Melodies,” which I borrowed from Taupo Library, take it from me, the music is wonderfully, enchantingly, relaxingly beautiful.
(6.20pm) Watching the news, the weather in the UK is terrible, and from what I have heard, it is set to last for another two weeks. The ice is over most of Europe and the disruption is causing havoc throughout the UK and its neighbours. The sun is not out with us here this morning.
The clouds are back this afternoon, by lunch the sun was out and you need sun lotion.
I’m feeling a little tried now, with the gym and all the walking today around town and the shopping, carry the groceries, walking back, it’s taken it out of me so I’ll have a little relax and see how I feel after, but now, I’m not going anywhere tonight.
(11pm) I didn’t go out after, I watched television and read the daily paper which I bought earlier today and started the novel “The Running Vixen." my E. Chadwick. Listening now to Johann Strauss Orchestra with Andre Rieu playing the violin, “Aimeu,” from Romeo and Juliet, and then it’s off to bed for me.
(Saturday 9th January)
I woke at 9.20 today and went straight down the gym, the sun is out, the sky is blue, the birds are singing, what a good start to the day. I had another good workout, 1 hour 40 minutes, not sure how many calories I burnt, but concentrating on weights and press-ups with some cardiac, when I have a good work out back home I burn anything from a 1000 to 2000 calories, sometimes more.
From the gym, I went into town, did a little bit of shopping, bought a paper, I went home and had lunch, and cooked a lasagne for tomorrow evening, only having three for a meal tomorrow. Later, after reading the paper, I went up to the hot water springs. The hot water drains into the Waikato River and I went for a swim where the hot water mixes with the main river, it was exhilarating, but you needed to be careful. The river flows fast in the centre current, but the water is so clear you can see your face in the stones at the bottom.
From there I went to my son’s house for a late roast and walked home at 9.30pm. I am having the boy tomorrow afternoon, looking forward to it, I will not be late in bed tonight, I’ve walked and exercised quite a lot tonight today, walking alone I’ve done over 9 miles.

1 comment:

  1. you are getting a lot of exercise out there, eyes as well as body, take care,an old friend,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete