Tuesday 26 January 2010

LOG FIFTEEN - Roy Tomkinson: New Zealand Log from 10th January to the 13th of January

(Sunday 10th January)
I woke at 8.45am, I had a real good day yesterday, and I’m feeling really exhilarated, the sun is out in force and I finished reading the paper I purchased yesterday, and I’m now listening to music. "Ultimate Santana." I'm burning it into my computer. The first song “Into The Night,” most impressed with it I am.
I intend to have an easy day today, I’m expecting my grandson down around 1pm so it’s indoors for me today, especially with the meal this evening.
All done, I only need to warm up the lasagne and make the Bushnell Sauce, which will take but a few minutes.
I’ve found an extraordinarily good coffee, since I’ve bought a coffee plunger, I’m trying different ones, but this one is exceptional. It’s by Robert Harris, and it’s called “Hazelnut Dream” and you can actually taste the hazel nut flavour as well the hazel aroma – smell - smell - it’s yummy to drink.
I’ve bought a book, only $1, old stock from the library, written my Terry Waite, “Taken on Trust.” If you remember, he was held captive in the Lebanon for 1,763 days, most of which was in solitary confinement until his release on 19th November 1991.
This is his autobiography of that time which he wrote first in his mind when held in darkness, which reveals his inner strength and what helped to keep his sanity. I will read the book as soon as I finish my present novel. I’ll let you know what I think about his story. But I must say, I do know quite a bit about his ordeal, I followed it at the time it happened, he is a person who I greatly admire, but it’s taken me up until now to read his book, and by accident. But maybe not, who knows?
(1.10pm) Just made the Sauce for the lasagne for tonight, a tip: don't put Greek Yogurt in the topping sauce: it doesn’t work (sic!). Listening now to the theme from the “Third Man” and nice it is too. For lunch, I’m having pâté with a crispy roll with salad.
(2.55pm) I’m listening to music using my ear phones while my grandson watches television, I have quite a collection of CD on my Computer from my collection at home, all legal I would add, no illegal downloads, don’t think it’s right.
I shall have to start writing shortly, I can’t actually say I’ve been prolific in the writing department since I’ve been out here, but really, I’m not that bothered, I’m enjoying the country and making the most of it, so I’ll have plenty of time for writing later. I think I’ve mentioned it before, I’m thinking of serialising my first book, it would make good viewing.
I did a play a few years ago, and I’m thinking of sharing it on my webpage over the next few months. In all there are Five Acts, with around 40 odd scenes, and the story tells quite a profound tale, so watch this space over the next few weeks, well months.
Listening to Cliff Richards, “The Young Ones,” brings back memories, especially of my parents. Funny is old life, as you get older your memories lengthen and you look back along the line of time gone, and...
Well, for me, I see things differently now than I did twenty years ago, I don’t long to go back there, but it does warm me somewhat: reflected memories with a time distance always looks better. Or perhaps it’s just that, you reflect forward into your mind only the memories you wish to hold and keep, and the lock gets more secure as you tread the path of life forward.
Anyway, enough of sentimentality on my part: just now, I'm listening to Tom Jones, and I am remained of Pontypridd, and yet, despite the weather there, snow, ice, subzero temperatures, it gives me a warm feeling of home, a little like a comfort blanket, so the sentimentality must be still with me.
There is a saying, you can take the man out of the Rhondda, but you can never take the Rhondda out of the man. So it is said – true! I suspect it is. There is consanguinity between Rhondda and its sons. I wonder if Tom Jones feels the same, met him a few time in the Otley Arms having a pint with his friends, he has done Pontypridd right proud.
I’m taking a rest from novel reading today, the last few weeks I’ve been a prolific reader and walker around Taupo, busy – busy – busy all the time. So I’m taking a little rest, the trouble is with rest it gives you time to think, to ponder, to wonder, reflect: I think we all need to make time for these things. I call it a `getting to know yourself day.’
Earlier I’ve turned on shuttle for my music and `Auld Lang Syne’ as just come on, so there is no getting away from it today.
I’m just about to make the potato wedges to accompany the lasagne. What I do, after I’ve cut them, is to place them in an oven at 100 to 120 Deg for twenty minutes to first soften them.
Then I spread a few spoonfuls of olive oil, finely chopped with a few chilli flakes, over the wedges, and turn the oven up to 180 Deg for half an hour. But I toss them every five minutes not for them to stick to the pan.
For the last ten minutes, I turn the oven up to 210 Deg to brown and crisp them off. Take it from me, the wedges are brilliant, and to boot, they are low in fat.
(9.20pm) The meal went well, the lasagne, everyone had second helpings, also, I opened a few beers, a bottle of prosecco wine; a New Zealand sparkling wine, very nice indeed. The dessert was a mince pie, made on a large plate with jam tarts and cream, but I feel tired now. They’ve just gone. I think it’ll be an early night for me tonight; overall, it’s been a good day, but I'm feel really tired.
(11th January 2010)

It couldn’t sleep last night, coughed for most of it, and I had a headache. I was alright until I went to bed, and then that was it. I think it might have been because there was an abrupt change in atmospheric pressure in the atmosphere. It rained continually all night and the temperature suddenly dropped substantially, when I say rain, it belted down all night: I don’t think it let up once. And yet, the day was sunny but colder than normal – at lot colder that it’s been for the last few weeks.
It made to make me really tired, and I could hardly move. I stayed in doors and just rested. I did listen to music and I read a little, but not a lot, and ate even less.
(10.10pm) Feeling a lot better now - I was really caught on the hop, I have a really bad allergy to sudden changes in temperature. I should have realised and made allowances, but this time I was caught napping. Not to worry, I just need to be a little more careful in the future, off to bed shortly, shorty log today.
(12th January)

I woke at 9am, I slept better, but still not that good, coughing and restless, I did have breakfast a bowl of fruit and a light lunch, but I didn’t go out, I just couldn’t face the gym this morning so I rested. The afternoon I felt really tired and just lay about reading and dozing, and had an easy evening, I did read a bit but found it difficult to focus, and don't feel like writing a lot.
(13th January)

I feelings a lot better this morning, but still not right, so no gym or walking for me. I may go out this afternoon if I’m feeling up to it! The weather is cloudy and a lot colder today, with a keen North Easterly wind, with dampness in the air from all the rain, but there is a high coming in tomorrow so the forecast states, but we’ll have to see.
(12.40pm) Just had a shower, been in bed most of the morning – on and off – feeling better now after a shave and change of clothes. Will read a little and take stock later today.
(1.50pm) Went out, first time the three days, walked for a while (4miles) and felt better for it. I think I may well go to the gym tomorrow, but still not back to full strength. Read a novel by Shirley McKay, “Hue and Cry.” Just finished the story, it was hard going, it was a lesson in how not to write a novel, the story went on and on, a large part of the story was so slow at times I thought it was moving backwards.
I persevered with it because I want to see how the author put the story together, but I was disappointed. The story was based in the time era 1575, in Scotland, at Saint Andrews College, the plot was disjointed, with some of the characters not believable, with others, just silly, and at times, the plot was actually confusing, but from everything you learn, even from negative experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I'll give you one thing, you know how to enjoy yourself, I've tried to count the novels you have read over the last few months and I gave up.
    Tell us, you go to New Zealand and for most of the time you read! Seems strange to spend so much time with your head stuck inside a book. But everyone to his own I suppose.
    I will admit, from the steps you walk it's not all reading, you walk more more in one day than I would in a week, where you you get the energy from? Wish I could spend the winter away in the warm. Some get all the luck!
    You are busy busy busy all the time, and you find time to cook. Anyway, good luck, I enjoy you rants.
    John.

    ReplyDelete