Monday 8 February 2010

Log Sixteen, New Zealand, from 14th to 17th of January 2010

(Thursday 14the January)
I slept well last night, the weather today is a lot warmer, and I feel fine: funny, when the weather changes it has an effect on me. I was up from bed this morning at 8am and went up the gym; I worked out for one and a half hours and, later, I went for a walk along the river.
I went home to have lunch, read a little, reading now, “The Scarlet Lion” another novel by Elizabeth Chadwick.
After lunch I walked again along the Waikato River up the hot springs and went for a swim, the river was low and near the hot spring the water was too warm to sit in, but a little out in the river the water was alright, and I had a good time. I’ve walked over 9 miles today.
I walked home, the weather hot and sunny and admired the wonderful countryside, eventually, I got home and made my dinner, sausage, boiled potatoes, peas with onion gravy, and for the rest of the night I read and watched television, Harry Potter, “The Goblet of Fire.” Shortly I’ll be starting my travels around the North Island – first I need to get a car, next week should see that sorted.
I see there is more snow back in the UK, just heard on the news; over 2,000 schools are closed because of the snow, but still with low freezing temperatures. Glad I’m over here I must say, but the newsreader did comment that the temperature in the UK should get better towards the weekend, but still they are to remain cold – off the bed 11am – see you all tomorrow.
(Friday 15th January)

I slept like the proverbial log and woke at 9am, still, I admit, after the exertions of yesterday, little wonder, but feeling good. The sky was cloudless, the sun up and warm. I left immediately for the gym walking the long way round along the Waikato River, which was lower than normal. The birds sang: I saw a rabbit, which ran in front of me and was lost to me in the undergrowth. The wind, not cold, moved the trees, and sounded like a stream humming over stones as I made my way along.
Worked out for just over an hour and walked back home the same way I came, stooping frequently to listen to nature’s sounds and to admire its beauty. For lunch, I had tuner fish with cheese and onion in two rolls, and then I read awhile and relaxed listening to music. I need to go shopping sometime today.
I came back from shopping, 4.30pm, it’s a pain carrying it from the shops, this time next week I should have a car, hopefully. I just had a shower, 5.50pm, watching television and waiting for the baked potato, which is in the oven, I’m having it with chilli.
I should have mentioned it earlier, when in the gym I weighted after training wearing shorts and T-shirt. I weigh 77.7 kilos: in stones that is, 12 stone 2 pounds, so I’m in pretty good shape, but I want to get down to 11 stone 10 pounds. I only have a few more pounds to go, 6 pounds to be exact, so I should be there in the next 3 to 4 weeks, concentrating on my stomach and chest. I say that, providing there is no great temperature change, or there may be a problem, if you know what I mean!
I haven’t drunk a lot of wine, any alcohol in fact for quite a while, so I’ve bought two bottle of wine, Australia. Jacob’s Creep- a white Riesling and a red Shiraz, they were on offer, $6.95 each. I hope they are alright. I intend to have a few glasses tonight. (6,15pm) From the looks of things outside, it may well rain later, the clouds are back and the cloud blanket is getting thicker, and yet this morning, there was not a cloud to be seen in the sky. I’m half way through the E. Chadwick novel, this is the third novel, which I’ve read by this author, and after, I will read her other novel, which I borrowed: “The Love Knot.” After I’ve read four of her novels I’ll take a rest and change focus. I want to read a few New Zealand authors.
The red Shiraz wine for the price is excellent, I had three small glasses, around a third of a bottle; I want to go to the gym tomorrow, so too much wine tonight will drain me tomorrow, 11.15pm, off to bed now.
(Saturday 16th January)

Up at 9am, slept like a log and straight down the gym for a work out, later: a walk, and later still back at the house I read. In the afternoon I went into town and did the shopping, buying a daily paper at the same time. Back at the house the rest of the day reading, “The Scarlet Lion” my E Chadwick, it's a rather hefty novel but well worth the read, in is her second book on William Marshal a great 12th century Magnet and Knight and his wife Isabella, Countess of Pembroke, also Queen of Leinster in Ireland. I will definitely read the first novel about William Marshal “The Greatest Knight.”
The novels are just that, novels, but they are rooted in fact, and the William Marshal’s tomb and effigy resides at the Temple Church London, his wife was buried in Tintern Abbey but her tomb has long gone, destroyed by the annals of time. But a large replica of Isabelle’s seal can be seen at Chepstow Caste, she died one year after her husband despite being twenty years his junior. The story can be looked upon on two levels: a great love story or as an adventure novel, equally on both levels it make for compelling reading. Staying in Saturday night, watched a little television, listened to music and in bed my 10.30 feeling good, very good indeed.
(Sunday 17th January)

Up at 8am, slept well, and read for most of the morning. After lunch, I made the evening meal, well, the cottage pie I had already made, so I only need do the topping, potato, sweet potato, radish and carrots, mashed and placed as a topping, with Ratatouille, cauliflower, sweet corn, tomatoes, done a cauliflower cheese, with creamed potato with onions and garlic topped with radish. I only need cook for five so it wasn’t too bad and it turned into a good evening. After they went, I read until I fell asleep, short log today.

No comments:

Post a Comment