Tuesday 16 February 2010

Log Nineteen, New Zealand from 22nd to the 26th of January.

(Friday 22nd January)
I woke around 8.30am and went straight to the gym in the car, the clouds are still with us and it rained throughout the night, but it’s brighter today and not raining now (10.11am), in fact, I can hear the birds singing. But from the weather forecast it is due to rain later this afternoon so I can’t see me going to Rotorua today, but I haven’t made up my mind yet, I’ll read for awhile and then make a decision.
I went shopping, spent quite a bit, bought loads of mince and a leg of lamb and a few bottles of wine. Later in went swimming, the pool is good, part of the pool is indoors and part outdoors, and you can move from one to the other at will. There is a Sauna and a Steam room: I used them both. I called into Woolworths on the way back and purchased a few items I didn’t pick up this morning and home.
I for my evening meal, potato wedges in garlic and herbs, two eggs and a few beans, most enjoyable indeed.
The rain is still with us, but it did come a little brighter after lunch, but now, it’s rain – rain – rain, but the plus: it’s warm.
Funny really, a few day ago I was watching a television programme on fat people; tonight, there is another on Anorexia, and believe me, it moved me.
Seeing these people make really sad, the same sadness you see in fat people. They want to be different, but just don’t seem to know how. I feel like shouting at them, call them stupid, and to pull themselves together, stop mourning, get on with it, and sort yourself out, with little understanding as to how they feel.
It is easy for someone like me to say, just eat and exercise, count your calories, and there you go, easy really. But it’s not that easy for them. I’m starting to believe it’s a mental problem, these people, without exception are sad, they see themselves as life failures, and that annoys me to hell, negativity and failure I find hard to accept.
They feel inadequate and think they are fat, fat people thing the opposite, and believe they need to be thin – they have no balance in eating, or in lack of eating, their life choices are crap, and that’s exactly what it is, life choices, the key work is CHOICE: THEY HAVE CHOICE, BUT THEY FEEL THEY HAVEN’T, there is an alternative!
The problem is mental: the answer - I haven’t an answer, perhaps support, more understanding, that, coming from me, is indeed a revelation. Normally, I have very little time for people like that who cannot control their life, but I do feel sadness for them. I should thank my lucky stars I am not like that, and instead of looking askew at them and thinking them weak ineffective people that needs a good kick up the backside. I must look and see them as individuals who are not past the pall and need understanding, everyone somewhere inside themselves have their own devils, and just because mine in not diet or weigh, or lack of weigh, there must be an observant acceptance by me. Enough said.
(Saturday 23rd January)

I woke this morning to a knock at the door, my son 7.50am, he is off to work and I’m having my grandson for the day and the night. My son and his wife are spending Saturday night at the Hilton, with all the trimmings.
I spent the morning playing with my grandson and cooking. I did beef and chicken curry and marinated a leg of lamb for cooking tomorrow and sorted out two dishes of lasagne. Later, I took my grandson swimming, we had a great time, they have a long tube slid and we had load of goes, it was stupendous. There are several different pools, you can even hire a small private pool if you so wish. The water is warm, thermally heated from the ground.
The weather is still cloudy but that does not matter, we had a great time. The pool is tremendous and the slid... Well, I could go on for `yonks,’ but I won’t. We arrive back at 5.30pm and we were shattered: had dinner at 7pm, and my grandson went to bed and I had lasagne with a baked potato with a few glasses of red win.
A good day, a very good day, and (8.50pm) I’m watching television now. The novel I’m reading now is by Bernard Cornwell, “The Lords of the North.” The last novel I read; the Agatha Christie novel at the time of the Pharaohs was really good, the time period, quite frankly, was irrelevant, it was a murder, `who done it story’ typical Christie. I have one more novel to read and then, it’s back on to E. Chadwick, “The Greatest Knight.” Late evening, I watched television and in bed my 11.30pm and read for awhile.
(Sunday 24th January)

Up at 8am, my grandson must have been tired after yesterday, normally he’s up a 6.30am; we had porridge for breakfast and I read a little when he played with his toys. I will be freezing the meals I prepared yesterday. Later, there will around 29 meals in all, the cost, around $2 per portion, so quite good.
I must cook the meal, leg of lamb - later. I will be doing it with a herby crust in tomato and red wine. I know this meal. I’ve prepared in many times with roasted vegetable. Pumpkin, carrots, potatoes, boiled and roasted, peas, plus mixed vegetables, all done in the oven. There’ll be six for dinner tonight. For dessert, I’m frying whole bananas in butter caramelised with brown raw sugar and topped with syrup to serve, accompanied by a whole meal biscuit.
The weather today has changed, the sun is out in force, there a few clouds in the sky but not many, it’ll be a warm sunny day today, and after the rain the last few days, welcome it is, I can tell you. Need to go out shortly to do a little shopping at Woolworths, don’t need a lot, mushrooms, a few peppers, raisins and currents – that’s about it.
(Monday 25th January)

The meal last night went well, we had a few beers and a few more and finished with a glass of port. I woke at 8am and felt good, slept like a log last night and after breakfast and a little read I went to Rotorua, just got back (4pm), The smell is quit powerful when you get there, sulphur permeates the air and smell a lot like rotten eggs.
The lake is lot small then Taupo but large enough to have a few quite large boats, a water plane and a helicopter. But the water is not as clean as Taupo, the water quality is getting better but it will take a few years yet. Because of the fallout from land fertilisers, and until quite recently sewerage went untreated into the lake. All that has now stopped, but it will take many years for the bacteria in the lake to break down. Don’t get me wrong, the water is clean enough to swim in, but this country is after pristine in its water quality and goes out of its way to make it so.
This weather is funny and takes quite a bit of getting used to, this morning, I was using factor 30 against the sun: this afternoon, I was in a thunder storm, thunder and lightning everywhere. I can’t see me ever going back to Rotorua, I was a little disappointed with it. Not sure yet where I’m going tomorrow, I’ll see what the weather is like first in the morning. But despite the weather I did a lot of walking.
(26th Tuesday, January)

I woke to rain and more rain, thunder and lightning filled the sky all day, the noise - crashing and flashing without stop, clouds low and grey, the last day and a half has seen over 15,000 separate lightning strikes.
I didn’t leave the house for the whole of the day, but I quite enjoyed it, I just read, finished the Cornwell novel and almost finished the E. Chadwick, quite a substantial novel, dressed only in a pair of shorts. From the weather forecast it looks to be the same tomorrow, the storm has been overhead since yesterday afternoon and is still going on (6.05pm) with no sign of stopping, at this rate I’ll never get round the island.
I was going down the library but decided against it, I need to update my log, perhaps tomorrow. But I’m not particularly worried; I have another two months out here so there is no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment