Tuesday 9 February 2010

Log Eighteen New Zealand 21st of January 2010

(21st January Thursday)
I was up like a lark this morning at 7am and straight down the gym, the weather was as expected, it rained heavily throughout the night and is still with us this morning, glad I didn’t have to walk to the gym in this weather; it’s around a 1000 steps from my door to the gym door. Worked out for over an hour and a half, got back just before 9 am, and had breakfast. I will not be going to Rotorua today, it’ll take around an hour and twenty minutes to get there, and by the looks of things, I may not go swimming either – not a lot of fun in the rain.
The forecast is for rain all day and for the next two days, so I’ll have to see how things fan out. No worries I’ll use the time to read, I’ll really enjoying my time reading, it’s not often I can just sit back and read for hours on end, but it is at the expense of my own writing.
(10.12am) I am sitting at my table writing a synopsis to send for Book Nine, outside my window the rain is hammering down, and yet it is warm. The last time I saw rain this heavy was in Thailand in the rainy season, the sky is filled with dark grey clouds, and it looks pretty miserable.
(12.19) With all the rain we’ve had this morning, I’ve just notices there is water coming into the bathroom in the corner near the toilet tank. It’s not a lot, but I have informed the landlord, better to get it sorted straight away, the landlords is a friend of my son, a really nice person. It’s stopped raining now but the sky is full of clouds so there is still more to come from the looks of things.
Just finished writing my synopsis for Book Nine, need to get it off now to a publisher, but it won’t be today, the publisher will have to wait a few days yet – I need to print off the first three chapters with a covering letter, it’ll be done in the next few days. I want to get a book published in New Zealand, silly I know when I can have it done in the UK, but I don’t care, I just feel like doing it.
(5.30pm) I’m sitting in my house, outside there is thunder and lightning and the rain is bucketing down with low fog. I’ve never seen so much rain in such a short period of time. Sometimes I like to walk in the rain, with full wet water gear, but not in this rain, without doubt, it would sting the face. I know the farmers wanted rain, and the Waikato River has been low at times, but after today, I think that gripe has gone down the river with the rising water level.
Tonight I’m making rice, jacket potato with chilli, I made a large batch a few days ago and this is the last of it, but chilli is one of my favourite meals. Watching now, “Come Dine With Us.” The show is quite funny; some of the participants haven’t a clue of how to cook.
Earlier this afternoon I went down the library, I drove down, and took a few books back and took others out. I already have four books lined up ready to read, but the others, even though I’ve borrowed them from the library, on closer inspection I don’t think I’ll be reading them, my fault for not taking more time.
They are by Barry Brailsford – “Song Of The Circle,” but back in the house I’ve read a few pages and it’s not for me. I will try again, but I don’t think I’ll change my mind.
Doesn't time go quickly! It’s a year since President Obama has taken office, it seems only yesterday we were all watching his campaign, and from what I can gather he seems to be doing a good job, but I can’t see him sorting out the Afghanistan problem, even Sister Teresa would have trouble there. With Iraq not far behind.
I have noticed that the man known as “Chemical Ally” is to be hanged, but again I can’t see that doing any good, revenge is never sweet no matter what anyone thinks – it normally ends with reciprocation, and so it goes on, only forgiveness brings results. And of course, after today, a Republican has taken the seat that Kennedy occupied so the Republicans now have 41 seats in the Senate and are able to block legislation, especially the health reforms he is trying to get through and into legislation. It seems a lot of Americans do not want free health care for everyone, they are a country against the cost.
They know that taxation will have to go up to pay for it and are not prepared, as it is now around 60% of Americans pay very little tax and are starting to resent increased taxation – hence the Republican being elected today. But I think there is more to it, there is anger in America over jobs and a downward standard of living, and they are looking around for people to blame. My opinion, he needs more time to make things happen, and increased taxation for free health care for every American is a price, I think, well worth paying.
I see there is still hell in Haiti, they has been another earthquake today - aftershock I think, but numbers are not yet available, but it looks to be significant. I really appreciate just how lucky I am, I haven’t a lot, but it’s more, a lot more than most, and the future is looking even better. But I say live in the moment, plan for the future, and enjoy life. The past is gone and the only benefit is in memory, so don’t live in the past, look, always look to the future, but enjoy the moment you are in, it is where you are so make it right.
(6.40pm) The weather is closing in even tighter, the mist is down, the rain is torrential, there is a thunder storm just over head, and it will be with us for awhile yet. I’ve closed the curtains and gone to ground, and here I’ll stay until I see the sun again, but it’s not in the least cold. If we had this weather in the UK it would be cold with it, so there is benefit despite the gloomy day. In a strange way, I’m enjoying it.

1 comment:

  1. You are getting a lot of rain out there Tomkinson, and you keep up with current affairs, when will you start to write?
    Phil.
    When you get back I've give you a bell and we can have a lunch, I know you like your wine and a brandy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete