Tuesday 8 December 2009

Fourth Log New Zealand from Monday 7th of December to 9th of December 2009

(Monday 7th December)

Up 4pm, still dark - couldn't sleep, read for a few hours. At the start of the day, as the light broke, it is a little cloudy, but it brightened up around 9am, and the morning turned out to be warm.

(10am) Went for a walk, needed a long walk (writing will have to wait a day or so) along the Waikato River up as far as the Huka Falls, and onward to the Kayak Centre to compare prices. I intend to spend a day on the lake Kayaking, will go with an organised party first. I haven’t used a Kayak for quite a while and I need a little retraining. Later, I’ll probably hire one for a few weeks to explore the lake and river, but will go with a party whenever possible, but I don’t mind if I’m alone, it give one time to think.
Arrived back late afternoon, the sun is hot and I need to be careful, stopped to watch a few people Bungee Jump. I did intend to go down the library but I felt too tired, I was totally drained and needed to rest, on the plus side, I can feel myself getting fitter, so there is a positive.
Sometimes I push myself too hard, today was one of those times, so I stayed in the house, watched television, and read for the rest of the time, in bed by 11.30 circa, a little read and to sleep.


(Tuesday 8th December) Slept well last night, woke at 9am, late for me, so I must have been tired. I’m not feeling that grand this morning, a headache, I'll drink a lot of water this morning, perhaps I’m a little dehydrated, who can tell, but I did drink a lot yesterday when walking, but I suspect not enough, will have to watch that in future.
Will spend to morning in the library, need to do emails, have a few to answer, three to American, and walk this afternoon, but will rest more.

This in indeed novel for me! I intend to downgrade my writing to 1000 words per day, 5,000 per week, for me, a mere walk in the park! This is such a wonderful country and I love being outdoors, but I am here to complete my next manuscript and that is what I'll do, but in my own time. My manic writing days are over, proportionality, from now on, I have a friend back home who has always said that to me, and for me to not push myself so hard - a bit late I knew, but if that person happens to be reading this, take note. I'm listening to the message.
(2pm) Didn’t call in the library after, went around town down and to the harbour, some nice boats down there, went past the yacht club, looks a really impressive building, will call in there sometime and make myself know.

Found out Rotary meets there 6.30 every Monday evening, will definitely go to a meeting sometime, will ring the President and tell him I wish to attend one of his meeting, and when there, I’ll volunteer to be one of their speaks at a later date about my writing, normally, Rotarian's are always looks for speaker, it'll be fun.
My feet are hurting, walked a lot today; the weather is gorgeous, very warm, I'm covered in sunblock. Definitely I will need to shower before bed tonight.
I notice Woolworth has an offer on beef, (its a supermarket) it is selling silver side at $3.90 a kilo, I will get some. That’s Sunday sorted. I did intend to go to a night class on Wednesday, but that has gone by the wayside. There is so much to do and see out here, but I’m settling in slowly and will attend at some time over the next few weeks and get started.
Just bought a police car and fire engine for Christmas for my grandson, (toys of course) and I’ve just been invited to a barbecues tonight, being picked up at around 5 this afternoon. I’ll read now for a little while and relax – I do like it out here. I also like living in Wales, but not so much as I used to last year, but I won't share that with you, personal to me.
(8.45) Back after the barbecue, enjoyable, only had two small bottle of beer, I was feeling a little tired and needed an early night, but I’ve learned something really interesting. I thought that the longest word in the world came from the Welsh Language, which was always a good brag. That is now dead in the water. The longest word is not from Wales, but from a place name in Hawkes Bay, most will know the place, its famous for its wins.


Compare:


Welsh Word:
Llanfairpwllgwyngllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Maori Word:
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuaktanatahu


The first word is a railway station in North Wales, in the United Kingdom, and we brag how long the word is, real proud we are in thinking it the longest word anyone knows: but now, no longer!
The second word is a shortened version, yes shortened! And means:


“The brow of the hill where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed, and swallowed mountains, known as Land Eater, played his flute to his lover.”

Tamatea Pokaiwhenua (Land Eater) was a Maori Chief so famous for his long travels across the North Island that it was said, he ate (pokai) up the land (whenua) as he walked. There are also other names in the region of Hawkes Bay attributed to this ancient chief, will search them out.
What a name, that is a real party stopper. The Welsh is 57 words log: the Maori has 84 words, quite a difference, I think you’ll agree. Will go there later and see for myself and will read a bit of the history.

(Wednesday 9th December)
Woke at 8.30am, slept well, but I did do a lot of walking yesterday, if as if I’m searching for something, and yet, I don’t know what it is. The weather is grand this morning, not a cloud in the sky. Intend to go early to the library and upgrade my log on the Internet, and have a walk around lake. I’ll take a few rolls with tuna and a banana with me, always, I travel with a rucksack on my back with something to eat and a bottle of water, instead of buying something to eat and drink when out. I save a lot of money that way, and I know what I am eating, that’s important, the wrong food can really cause me grief.
(4.30Pm) I haven’t written a lot this week, but will do the 5,000 I’ve set myself. Just got back from my walk and the library, posted my third log, and later walked around the lake, done well today, walked 22,000 already, nearly 9 miles. Feeling a little tired, the weather today is hot, 24 Deg, I used plenty of sun block, factor 30, and still needed to be careful. The water is the lake is crystal clear, many were bathing, and I had lunch.
A tomato and lettuce salad with white rise with basaltic vinaigrette, tuna in a roll, and a slice of the lemon cake I made Sunday, ate in the shade, watching the water and feeding the birds – taking in the ambiance and watching the world go by- a most pleasurable experience. Oh yes, the Waikato River is back to its normal depth, the gates controlling the flow from the lake were full open when I passed.
Also, I have borrowed a book from the library: Maori History and Place Names of Hawkes Bay, by J.D.H. Buckanan, edited by D.R Simmons, first published in 1973.
The ISBN should anyone be interested is, 0-7900-0971-4. Looks on the face of it to be a most interesting read, will let you know later what I think, but will finish the novel I’m currently reading by Euanie MacDonald, “Steelworkers Row” about Scotland, the hatred that exists just before the Second World War between the Catholics and Protestants in Scotland, the story seems somewhat familiar to me.
(10.10pm) I’m watching the news: Iraq, just heard on the news, over 150 killed, hundreds injured, and it’s only today that the country announced its election date. This country, like Afghanistan, is ungovernable, politicians, the police force, the culture, are corruptly inept.
What is wrong with these people? I’m at a loss, and I suspect many others see it the same way: I just can’t see an answer. I know more troops are going into Afghanistan, America alone is sending another 30,000 troops and the UK around 500 with other countries doing the same.
Unless the cultures in these counties change, I see no hope for the future in these two countries. I have written a manuscript, yet to be published, about two counties, one calls API the other ANION, where I bring a lot of these out into the open and I look at it from both sides of the divide – the hate has to stop before there is progress.
There is a saying, `when you lose a loved one, irrespective where you are in the spectrum of life, the feeling is the same.’ God, I hope we learn, killing each other hasn’t worked throughout history, it creates bitterness and a wish for revenge, and it won’t work now. My advice for what’s it worth, LET THE HATE GO, anyway it’s my bed time, 11.05pm.
Next blog from the 10th of December onward.

3 comments:

  1. one hell of a mouthful that, I see you're getting in out there, I were never one to be on the outskirts, see you.
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy,
    we met in Taupo, you gave me your card, I've read your blog I thought you were kidding about being a writer, ordered you book, the first one you said on Wales, something like that.
    Hope to see your around town, I'll keep my eye out, and offer to buy you a beer, I'd like to chat with you again, perhaps next time you are in the library.
    Bernie,

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a complex person, I read what you say you hold interest for me,

    ReplyDelete