Wednesday 30 December 2009

Roy Tomkinson: LOG NINE FROM NEW ZEALAND FROM 21st TO THE 23rd OF DECEMBER

(Monday 21st of December, time 8 am I woke)
The meal last evening went really well, my home made garlic bread, not a piece was left in the dish, they left and I was in bed my 10.30pm last night, but the programme I watched first about obese people made quite an impression on me.
I just can’t understand how parents can be so stupid.
The remedy is simple: if you eat more food that you burn up in calories, period, you gain weight - simple. The trouble is half the parents themselves were as fat as pigs, and the food they stuff down themselves and their kids, well, half don’t deserve to have kids.
It’s all about life style and discipline, and from what I could see they were crap at it. To make wholesome nutritional food is not expensive. For what they pay for two packets of crisps and a packet of biscuits: I, anyone, could make a healthy meal for four people with dessert. They blame anything and everything, except themselves, some examples:
It’s my child’s genes.”
“We’re a big bones family.”
“My boy cried for more food.”
“I don’t think he eats that much.”
“He/She will not eat that type of food, I’ve tried.”

The lot is a load of nonsense, remedy, cut down on portions and learn to say no, and give them only healthy foods. If they don’t eat it let them starve, believe me, they’ll soon come round, and stop buying crisps and biscuits, and read what’s on the label before you buy food.
In the nursery school my grandson goes to, if crisps or cake, anything, that they consider or classify as not healthy food, the food is sent back to the parent with a note. And they are not allowed to eat it when at nursery – and good on them I say.
Their philosophy: if the parents don’t like it, they tell them they can’t accept the child. It so annoys me to see parents, most I will admit, with good intentions, ruining their children’s lives with bad parenting. And their own lives as well I may add.
My grandson gets little no sweets, a treat for him is a piece of fruit, and he thrives on his diet, I say it’s down, totally, to the parents and not the child. So if anyone is fat who is reading this, just stop eating and take more exercise, and stop-stop-stop, making excuses for being overweight, because frankly, there is no excuse: you are fat because you eat too much – simple as.
(2,14pm) Just got back in the house, been down the gym and then down to the library to post my log and shoot off a few emails, I’m not doing a lot of writing, only just keeping up with my target, but there again, it is Christmas so I’m not that worried, I've made a few weeks allowance for that in any event.
The weather is gorgeous out with just that little wind to make it pleasant, and it's not too hot. I’m having beans on toast for lunch and will get a portion of chicken curry out of the freezer for dinner tonight with rice mixed with nuts and a chopped raw onion.
These are the type of meals a friend of mine, who I haven’t see for a while, would really enjoy – it is so easy to lose contact with people with whom you value.
Also, I miss my other grandchildren, the eldest especially; we have such a close loving relationship, my son and daughter again, I miss, and their families. My daughter has just become engaged, I think this is the one, I really like him, and importantly, he cares for her and she’s happy: that’s all that matters to me for her to be happy, she’s turned into a really balanced young lady, she just needs to learn to cook now.
I’m listening to Abba, “Dancing Queen,” and dancing with myself, (perhaps this sun is stronger that I think, I did go out without a cap this morning and it may have addled my brain: Dam!) and their other songs, these songs will endure, have endured, they speak out to you: always there is a message in their songs.
The one I’m listening to now is, “I believe in Angels, I have a Dream, the other has finished but a moment ago.”
Reading a novel by John Whitbourn, “Popes and Phantoms,” medieval, around the time of the Borges, they behaved like devils, perhaps this dynasty were... I don’t know what they were, but I do know they weren’t in any way Christian.
I find the writing distance, as if the writer is afraid to bring the characters close to him. Don’t get me wrong, the writing is first class, but somewhat I feel that is not enough, they appear unreal to me. A little to precise to make the characters believable – I’m half way through the novel now, hopefully, I’ll finish it today but I can’t see me changing my mind.
(5.50pm) I went out after into town again, just got back, purchased a pair of aqua shoes to wear when in the water, and some Christmas paper to wrap a few presents. Decided to have a baked potato for dinner instead of rice, should be ready around 7pm. I’ll watch the news until then, I may have a glass of wine, feeling a little tired now, I’m getting a lot of exercise out here, a lot more than back home.
The meal I really enjoyed, and then I watched the second episode of, “Lost in Austin.” I watched the first episode yesterday and the other episode was on this evening. I admit, I was sceptical at first, but after watching it, I found it quite amusing.
Miss Price, an invented character, goes into the book of “Pride and Prejudice” and meets Mr Darcy, and the other characters in the book, quite amusing; Bingley turns out to be a drunkard, Wickham turns out to be an OK guy.
With a few other twists and turns. I was particularly amusing when Miss Price says,
“Jane Austin will be spinning in her grave like a cat in a spin dryer.”
When Bingley elopes with one of the Bennett daughters, not as in the book, it was Wickham, but all works out in the end.
Elizabeth going back to our present time in Hammersmith, and she comes back to a right cock up with the characters. In the end, Miss Price goes to be with Darcy, with Elizabeth going back to our current time – a rather strange ending, but well worth watching, a good laugh, bed by 11pm., must read the book again sometime.
(Tuesday 22nd December)

(6.20pm) Up at 8 this morning, a good day, but feeling rather tired, I had intended to down the gym but stayed at home and read. Did go down town to the library around 11am, posted my log and looked at Facebook.
Back for lunch, tuna with salad, and for the rest of the afternoon read and did a little cooking, a few old bananas were getting rather `manky’ so I made a banana cake. If you want the recipe let me know, it’s really easy and cheap to make, but it doesn’t keep well, must be eaten within a few days of making.
Listening to the news now, there is still chaos in Europe and in the UK with Euro Star. The weather is quite frightening; already across Europe, they are talking in terms of nearly a 100 people dead, with parts of America not doing that much better.
The temperature here today is 22 Deg, with a little warmer tomorrow – that’s it for today, may go out later for a beer.
(Wednesday 23nd December)

Up and out a 7am to go to the gym and I trained for a good hour and a half mainly with weights, and I didn’t drink any liquids. As I was coming out my son turned up and asked if I could take him to work and fetch the boy from nursery at 5pm and for him to stay the night, and to take him to nursery tomorrow morning.
I was quite delighted about it. I didn’t go out last night after, watched some television and read a little, in bed by 11pm after a glass of wine.
(9.40am) I’ll have breakfast now, peaches in juice with a cup of coffee.
(10am) It’s funny, sheets and pillowcases out here are called “Manchester:” Why? I have no idea. I’ll try to find out. I’ll go shopping later now that I have my son’s car today, not sure yet if I’ll be fetching my daughter in law from work, I expect she’s let me know later.
Read for most of the morning and then I took a hot shower – silly really. Afterwards, I felt a little light headed, giddy even, my mind felt as if it were moving far away from me, and I had to take a rest and refocus. I have a slight headache, so I drank a few glasses of water.
I worked out hard in the gym this morning and I didn’t drink anything, (silly me) and I think I became a little dehydrated: I need to be careful and make sure I drink plenty of water during and after training, it was a particularly heavy session in the gym, one and a half hours.
I’m still not feeling totally right even now (12.20pm), still feeling a little lightheaded, but I’m coming round slowly. I’ve just had a few more glassed of water, and I’ll have something to eat and I’ll rest for a little while.
Right, I’m back to normal, just eaten a tuna sandwich, soy and linseed bread, with a quarter of an onion and a few crisps, and a piece of boiled fruitcake cooked yesterday. I must say, the cake is `fandabidosie,’ I think that’s how the word is spelt anyway. In fact, I think I’ll have another piece.
After I picked up my grandson and brought him home, I made food: sausages with potato wedges, which I cooked in the oven and sprinkled some Cajun spices over, it turned out exceptionally yummy. Later we went and fed the ducks and he was in bed my 7.20pm. I watched a little television, silly really, “The Clash of the Santas” to a glass of wine and a few pieces of chocolate, read a little and in bed by 10.45pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment