Wednesday 30 December 2009

Roy Tomkinson: LOG ELEVEN from New Zealand from the 27th to the 30th of December 2009

(Sunday 27th December)
The barbecue last night was brilliant, they were load of people there and plenty of food, but I drank a little too much wine. They had a set of drums there that linked into the television, and a prompt on the screen for when you are to hit the drums according to the song on screen, so I gave it a go. I thought it was brilliant – most impressed with it. I got home at 11pm, tired, tipsy, but happy.
Woke at 5am and I couldn’t go back to sleep, had a few glasses of water and read for a while, and lazed about for the rest of the morning.
(1pm) Feeling tired now - dehydrated, will lay off the alcohol for a few days. I’m still reading, actually, in and out reading, a few pages at a time, the biography of “Karl Marx. I’m having an easy day, refocusing and taking it slow – I feel like the weather today, cloudy and warm with a haze in my eyes. I won’t be walking far today – worth it though, I had a great night. I need to eat something now, I’m about to make a cheese and onion sandwich with a few cups of tea.
(4.30pm) Feeling better and went out for a walk, my head is clear now, well almost, I’m just back to normal. The outside air has really sorted me out, and the shower afterwards; and to top it off, the weather has brightened up somewhat.
(7.10pm), Nanny McPHee, Emma Thompson, has just started on the television, Channel Three, (I only have three free channels) I think I’ve seen it before, can’t remember where, but I know I really enjoyed it, very much so, therefore, I’ll watch it again, and then I’ll have something to eat. I have a large potato in the oven and I’ll have some beans, which I will enrich with some curry powder, and I’ll tip them over the baked potato, I’m not cooking for anyone today, thank goodness, after last night.
A number of pilot whales, over sixty in total, were stranded today on a beach in New Zealand, unfortunately, twenty have died while on the beach, but it looks as if the rest has been successfully rescued and directed out to sea. The beach was full of people, locals, and holidaymakers, all in the water helping the whales to keep cool while awaiting the return of the incoming tide. I’m off to bed, (11.45).
(Monday 27th December)
Woke up at 8.20am feeling really rough, I had a headache and my stomach was unset. At first, I thought it was a residual hangover from the barbecue Saturday night, but I was so tired and sick that couldn’t be the reason.
Somehow, I must have caught a bug, but it may be a change is the weather that’s to blame, it rained last night and it is still raining now (3.10pm) and I feel no better. I have an allergy to temperature change in the atmosphere, and perhaps I am affected by that.
I’ve been in bed all day, and feel as weak as a newborn kitten, and can’t eat anything, if I do it comes straight back up. Perhaps it’s my body just shutting down for awhile to make me stop, but I hope I’ll feel better tomorrow, goodness knows, it’s been a bad illness day for me today. I’m not complaining: what life throws at you is but part of living life in the fast lane, but that doesn’t mean to say you shouldn’t fight back, but tomorrow is another day, so it’s always pays to be positive.
I have my grandchild here at the moment and thank goodness, there is someone here to look after him, but he is spending a large proportion of his time jumping on me in bed and asking when I’m getting up. It’s his way of looking after me. Hope I feel better tomorrow, in bed by 10.30, well actually, I’d been in bed on and off for most of the day.

(Tuesday 29th December)
Wake at 9.20am feeling a lot better, the tiredness I had felt yesterday no longer clung as if superglue. I think that perhaps it was my body telling me to take a rest, now I feel as if I’ve been rejuvenated, but I intend to take it easy this morning, no gym today, I think.
Last night it rained heavily for most of the night and this morning - fine now, (11.08) but it’s still very warm 24 Deg and cloudy. My son brought my grandson down at 10.20, he needs to go and look for a car, his other car has now packed in, so he’s not a happy bunny – two cars gone to the happy hunting ground in a matter of a few weeks.
That’s what he does, he buys an old car, if the price is right, and runs it into the ground, and then he purchases another one, but he wasn’t expecting the both cars irrevocably to break down so quickly.
I’ll read and play with my grandson until my son returns, hopefully, with another car, and this time he’ll look after it a little better than the other two cars, which are now only good for scrap, but somehow I doubt it.
I’m reading another novel in between the others I studying: studying a novel or a piece of writing I find is different from just reading a novel for entertainment, but often, the line is blurred on occasions, to such an extent it is difficult the make the demarcation line that distinct – but it’s not that important to me

If I find a piece of writing interesting, I almost unconsciously end up studying it. The novel is “The Darling,” by Russell Banks ISBN: 3 3374 00147927 8, should anyone be interested, this is the first book I’ve read by this author, in bed by 11.10pm.
(Wednesday 30th December)
Up at 7am this morning, feeling a lot better, but I do have a dry throat, but with the tiredness has gone. My grandson turned up at 7.30am, I’m having him for the day. The sky is blue today so the weather will be sunny and warm
I haven’t been food shopping for over a week and I don’t have a lot of food left to eat. I have a few frozen meals in the fridge, but out of milk and teabags, but I do have some bread etc, need to do a food shop shortly, the plus is, I’ve spent very little over the last ten days. I’ll do my expenditure up to date today, but know I’m in budget. I did over spend a little to set up the house etc, but since then I’ve spent very little. Indeed, I’ve even included in the budget the amount I have spent on bonds, $500+$150+50 which I’ll get back. Best to be caution over expenditure, I’m really good at budgeting, but from now on, I’m not expecting to spend a lot over the next few weeks other than on food. Until I start to travel round the county.
Just completed my daily budget up to week six and I’m over budget by $1005, (Ouch!) but that included the setting up costs of the house and the deposits ($700) which I’ll get back and the end of the period.
So the true `over-budget expenditure variance’ is: $305, which I must make back over the next few weeks, but looks worse that what it is due to the house setting up costs and with Christmas expenditure included as well.
So the next few weeks will see me getting back into budget – when I plan something I always like to see it work out, but of course, if other variables are included there may have to be alternations, but I don't like my plans going wrong. I’ll just have to see
The $305 figure divided by the 6 weeks I’ve been here up to 26th of December represents an overspend of: $50 per week, about £23 per week – which there should be no problem making back over the next few weeks, after that is, I get the bonds returned for the various guarantees.
After my grandson went home around 6pm I read for most of the night, didn’t go out all day, in fact, for the last three days, in bed by 12..05am, later than I normally go to bed. But at least I'm now back to normal.
I know there is still a day to New Year, but still: A good New Year to you All, and may your wishes come true. Ch-aw for now. See you in the New Year.

5 comments:

  1. The song 'I dreamed a dream' is from the stage show 'les miserable'. (originaly the book was by Victor Hugo). It is currently showing in the Wales Millenium Centre, I saw it there on Monday last. The character 'Fantine' sings the song,now made famous by Susan Boyle. She is telling of the love she thought she had but lost, unfortunately the relationship meant more to her than to him, he left leaving her pregnant, and sadly in those days it also meant destitute.
    Although Fantine is never able to fully recover, and ultimately the chain of events was to take her life, it is neverthless a message of love, sacrifice and hope. It brings out the best in people if they choose to see the bigger picture.
    A happy new year to you Roy and to ALL your family, without exception. I will not wish you riches or sucess, but simply by reading your book 'Of Boys Men & Mountains' (still your best) someone will be inspired by your words to change their lives and live their dream as you have done. God bless you in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take my hat off to Rev John Williams contribution /comment of 30/12/09. (post) He is right Roy. You do have something special to offer, it had also been obvious to those of us who have been close to you in the past that you are still looking and running. I smiled when I realised you were in New Zealand. You said yourself you are as far from home as it is humanly possible to go....I realised then exactly what you were doing and wondered where you would try to run to next as flights to the moon are not yet an option.
    Rev Williams is an astute man (and I would have loved to have met him) for he came to a correct conclusion about you that very few had realised and only then as a result of knowing you at a deep level.
    The only difference between Rev Williams and myself is that I believe you may be running from more thsn one thing.
    Other than that Rev Williams knew you and only from reading your work, where your spiritual destiny lies which is by far more important. I hope you stop fighting, embrace it and it takes you home.
    LIRA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi anonymous
    LIRA,
    I know you know me, but not sure who you are, I have an idea, but I get such a lot of mail, email etc, I'm not totally sure, anyway, thank you for reading my books, much appreciated, I will be writing a screen play for Boys Men... shortly, I'm thinking of a number of half hour slots, one or two chapters per slot, at the moment is rolling round in my head.
    The best to you to, and thank you again. If you know me you should have my email number, let me know.
    Regards Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You say the kindest things, yes I was aware from where the song originated. I used to know someone who thought `Les Miserables' was a fantastic show, unfortunatly, I've never seen it myself, but I will some day.
    I have listend to the Susas Boyle CD many times of an evening, the songs are good, and she deserves all the success she now receive. I like to see people succeeding, it gives me quite a buzz. Anyway, thank you for your comments, please keep them coming.
    Regards Roy

    ReplyDelete